18/10/2012

Meet your User Support Assistant

My name is Jenny Greene and I’ve worked for the library here at Bangor for nearly twenty years.


Several years ago I decided to study for a BA in Social Studies, through the School of Lifelong Learning. The areas of study for this course focussed on History, Psychology and Sociology. I found that studying for a degree, gave me an insight into how it feels to be a student at Bangor. I think that I am better able to appreciate the issues that students encounter when studying here.

Although I started my employment in the nursing library, I’ve also spent several years locating and acquiring items for the inter-library loan and document supply service. Part of my duties involved processing Doctoral theses for digitisation under the British Library’s EThOS service. This side of my work increased my understanding of Copyright issues although my current post has changed , I am still very much involved with copyright enquiries relating to the library.

For the last two years I’ve been part of the User Support team and am now involved in welcoming new students to the library and in delivering workshops and training sessions. These cover training for RefWorks, accessing and using e-journals and e-journals, using databases like Web of Knowledge, Proquest, ScienceDirect and many other library resources including the online catalogue.

I’m currently enrolled as a part-time Postgraduate Student at Liverpool John Moores University, studying for an MA in Library and Information Studies. Once again I am gaining insights into the student perspective, which I hope will enable me to relate well with students who come to me with enquiries.

Outside of work my main hobby is reading (appropriately enough!) I enjoy a wide variety of genre such as science fiction, crime, adventure, historical romance and fantasy fiction. Favourite authors include: Wilbur Smith, Robert Jordan, Isaac Asimov, Georgette Heyer, jean Auel, Dick Francis, James Patterson, Barbara Erskine, Diana Gabaldon. Desmond Bagley, I could go on for hours.

I feel very privileged to live and work in such a beautiful area and thoroughly enjoy getting out and about in the local countryside. Some of my favourite places are Nant Ffrancon ,the Ogwen Valley and Penmon point over on Anglesey.

No comments: